[pct-l] Wind Shell + Rain Shell

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 06:47:18 CDT 2014

I'm following the strategy you mention below with one wrinkle - I'm adding a
light rain shell for the highest parts of the Sierras.  My strategy is like
this:

I'm carrying just a wind shirt to Kennedy Meadows where I'll add a  Frog
Togg's rain shell (5.7 oz & VERY inexpensive).  I will bounce the Frog Toggs
shell after Echo Lake & go with just the wind shirt through Northern
California.  Then I'll receive a more substantial rain shell (10.5 oz) in
Ashland to replace the wind shirt for the remainder of the trip.

The Frog Togg's rain suits are only $20 (tops and rain pants together) and
they are very light weight.  They work pretty well except that they are not
breathable (like a lot of rain shells & pants) and they are not very
durable. For California I feel like I won't have to use them very often so
I'm not particularly worried about the durability.  (The FT pants are the
only rain pants I am taking for CA.) In OR/WA when I may have to hike in
them for multiple days, I don't trust them.  That's why I'm sending in more
substantial rain wear...

That's my plan,
Timberline