[pct-l] Do we need a GPS unit and coats

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Mar 12 14:45:37 CDT 2014

Just our two cents from the Mountain Education point of view:

We find a GPS unit to be navigationally priceless when the trail is
covered in snow and you're down in the trees and can't see out to find
any high, ridgetop landmarks my which to navigate.

The trail sections of northern CA are very tree-covered, so if you
expect to have large distances of snow, bring the GPS with Halfmile's
waypoints and know how to use it before you go. If reports come in
from there before you leave saying that there is no snow, then
certainly you do not need it except for fun or recording your
wanderings off-trail!

Ned Tibbits
Mountain Education