[pct-l] Cleaning White Hiking Shirts

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 10:32:38 CDT 2014

When I hiked the PCT I noticed that some hikers wore white shirts and
lately I've been looking at some CDT journals where I'm seeing the same.  I
understand the reasons to choose that color in the sun.  As I'm thinking
about replacing my tan Railriders hiking shirt I've had since 2009, I've
been considering getting a white one in preparation for the CDT next year.

What I don't get is how people get them clean in town given how easy white
stains.  I've seen photos and video of hikers after 2-3 months after their
start and their shirts look pretty clean leaving town.  Are they using one
of Donna Saufley's secret laundry techniques or is it not really hard to
clean the trail off them in town?

-Miner