[pct-l] Cleaning White Hiking Shirts

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Wed Mar 19 14:58:30 CDT 2014

Roger:

The shirt I use is a 100% nylon "safari" style shirt from REI--it has
pockets in the front that velcro shut and a way to fasten up the
sleeves in hot weather. It also had nylon mesh on the back and the
underarms to vent sweat. It was pricey--over $50, but worth it. I
think that is the key--spend some money on a decent shirt from a well
known manufacturer and it will last a long time. I bought my present
shirt at a sale at REI. I am still using the same shirt after hiking
in it for 1200 miles every day for 3 months. If you buy a good shirt,
then the stitching will last longer too. I don't like spending zero
days sewing busted seams. Of course--there's always duct tape. I have
also used a shirt from Eastern Mountain Sports that I found in a hiker
box at Big Bear on the PCT.

Although many people who wear shirts just go to the Goodwill and pick
up an old white dress shirt--if it is a good manufacturer this could
be acceptable. But I like to carry my camera and maps in the shirt
pockets, so sometimes the dress shirts don't have pockets that can be
shut either with a button or velcro. I don't know how many times I was
grateful for the velcro shutting feature when I would bend over a
stream, tired at the end of a long day and I would feel my camera stay
put in the pocket. A couple years ago I read about a guy who lost his
smart phone on the PCT in the Sierras that way--unfortunately it had
his only maps loaded on it.

--Fireweed