[pct-l] Horseshoe Meadow Trailhead Hitch to Lone Pine

Aaron Nicholson aaronjamesnicholson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 11:35:42 CDT 2014

Hello List,

I'm planning a SOBO JMT hike this summer, with my get-back plan relying on
public transportation from Lone Pine.  Apparently I've missed the lottery
for Whitney Portal permits (oops...).  First, I was wondering if by chance
any of you knows of any way to get a Whitney Portal permit after the
lottery has closed (probably a lost cause at this point).  Second, I have
some questions about an alternate exit route:

I was thinking of exiting at Cottonwood Pass (750.2), Trail Pass (745.3),
or Mulkey Pass (744.5) to Horseshoe Meadow Trailhead/Campground and
hitching into Lone Pine, but I'm noticing that my 2012 edition of Yogi's
Guide warns that it is a "VERY hard hitch".  Has any of you successfully
hitched from here before, and if so, what was your experience?  I was
thinking that if I showed up at Horseshoe Meadow around midday on Sunday
that there would be a fair number of weekend campers driving back to Lone
Pine as I'm *pretty sure* that's the only road out of there...

Any thoughts?  Or alternate exit strategies?

Thanks,
Aaron