[pct-l] Horseshoe Meadow Trailhead Hitch to Lone Pine

dofdear aka Thumper dofdear at cox.net
Fri Mar 21 21:14:24 CDT 2014

CCB,

Let's agree to disagree.  You need a permit for a SOBO JMT hike but your
exit does not need to include a Whitney exit and may include Whitney in the
itinerary with some other exit point.  But you still need a permit! Oh, but
I'll say uncle if you can day hike it (LOL).  All overnight hikes in the
wilderness require a permit.  My point to Aaron is that he may be seeking
his permit from the wrong entity if he is concerned with the Whitney lottery
which are the method of issuing permits for hikes that originate from the
Portal.

Thumper

Chiefcowboy wrote:

If doing the JMT SOBO you do NOT need a Whitney permit.  If you are entering

via the Portal I believe you DO need one.

Also, in attempting to obtain a JMT permit, each trailhead is allocated a
certain amount.  In 2005, Happy Isle was allotted ten, six of which were
reserved and the other four were kept for walk-ins.  I "camped" out on their

porch from 3 AM and observed no fewer than TEN hikers obtain permits.  Not
sure what happened, but all of us went away happy.

---