[pct-l] CA Campfire Permit - Cleveland National Forest

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sat Mar 22 04:18:26 CDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Frank Dumville <fdumville at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On the PCTA site the first link is to the "elevated" fire restrictions page.
> The second link is to a "Fire Restriction Frequently Asked Questions" page.
> Here's a link to the general fire restrictions which according to the CNF website are in effect at this time.
> http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cleveland/home/?cid=stelprdb5302605
>
> I believe the PCTA website's "Only" reference is consolidating two restrictions; the general year round prohibition on campfires, and the allowed use of gas and liquid fuel stoves. That doesn't appear to be in conflict.

This whole thing is about whether Alcohol stoves are legal or not. The
wording on the PCTA page is that they are not

The wording on the USFS page you linked  to says they are:
"The use of gas and liquid stoves and lanterns, and jelly petroleum
stoves are allowed in all areas of the Cleveland National Forest."

Who is one to believe? The PCTA, or the poorly formatted and possibly
not updated USFS page.

If one were to receive a citation, could one use the USFS website as
evidence of compliance?

On the list we have the "stoveles evangelists" and the "Alcohol Stove
are Evil" folks. I'd actually like to know what the real rules are.