[pct-l] Deet!

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sat Mar 22 13:00:54 CDT 2014

Quantity required depends on the anticipated level of mosquito activity you
expect to encounter.

DEET - especially the concentrated forms - can be tough on you and
petroleum-based products like plastics.

I've switched over to 20% Picaridin wipes. The manufacturer claims they are
good for 8 hours. They worked like a champ along both the PCT and CT during
skeeter season.

Available at REI and other outdoor stores under the NATRAPEL brand name
(green box). http://www.rei.com/search?query=natrapel

It now comes as a wipe (12 packets for $6.95)  or pump spray bottles (5 oz,
3.4 oz, and 1 oz.)

I prefer the wipes as there is no chance of spillage or waste (accidental
overspray on an unwanted area or into the air), but I do have to carry the
packaging and used wipes the whole time..

The good news - the wipes only weigh 4.6 grams (0.16 ounce) each fully
packaged.

I always figured that my maximum use would be 2 wipes a day (in a really bad
skeeter season) for 6 days (average between resupply points) or 12 wipes =
1.94 ounces, so call it 2 ounces max.

Multi-use: after air drying, the used wipe can be moistened with water and
used for a quick sponge bath before crawling into bed or hitting town.