[pct-l] Poison Oak Recovery

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sun Mar 23 17:08:13 CDT 2014

Okay, yesterday I soaked the scabbed area for several hours and all the
scabs came off.  Blessed relief, felt great, until I got up this morning
and the raw skin is so tight and dry.  I did the betadine wash as
recommended and it burned like fire. I tried a cold wet compress, just
plain water, and that burned like fire too! I tried Vitamin E oil,
vitamin E lotion, and 100% aloe vera gel on small areas, and all of them
burned!   Now I have a tube of Calmoseptine ointment, which is very
thick.  My neighbor who does home health/hospice care uses it on her
patients' bedsores.  So I am trying that on small patches, little by
little.  So far it is not burning.  Thank you for the tip, Dr. Ken, I
think you are correct.  I don't need any more drying!  I need protection
for this raw skin.  It looks and feels like a second degree burn with
the blister gone, in that dried out, cracking stage of healing.
On the much less severe areas I am trying Aveeno Stress Relief
moisturizing lotion.
It is way too late in the game for me to do any soaks or tecnu.  But I
will sure keep all that in mind for next time.
I am going to get an appointment with a dermatologist this week.
On the up side, the oral meds did bring down the hugely swollen leg and
calmed down all the bright red rashes so overall I feel better.  I'm not
doing any driving while on all these meds.  17 years ago I had poison
oak, took my first dose of prednisone, got in my car, blacked out and
wrecked it!  So, no driving for me.  I am blessed to have a week off
from work (spring break) and a husband to drive me around.