[pct-l] ice axe training

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Mar 24 16:19:00 CDT 2014

Dale!

You nailed it!

Ice axe training isn't learned by watching a video or reading about it in a
mountaineering book. It is learned, realized, made reflexive by doing it!

PCT thru hikers, whether NoBo or SoBo, pay attention to the snow conditions
beneath your feet because the change from day to day and from sun to shade,
as Dale said. You can learn as you go, but it may be by the "school of hard
knocks."

Remember, also, that it doesn't take a big snowfield to increase your
chances of a slip-and-fall. Most of our students, before they take our snow
skills courses, tell us that they have fallen before on a small snow drift
across the trail and slid into a tree. They take the course to learn how to
prevent it from happening again.

Constant Balance, Traction, and snowslope condition awareness are necessary
to prevent that sudden, unsuspected slip or post-hole to pain. Dale is right
about that Kennedy Meadows fear of "what's ahead?" End your concerns and
gain an enormous amount of confidence by learning somewhere how to 1) remain
warm and dry, 2) navigate over snow when the trail is completely buried for
long stretches, is not marked, and you don't know where it is going, and 3)
self-arrest!

As we say, "It doesn't matter whether you're walking on 8 inches or 8 feet
of snow, the hazards are the same." Whether the patch of snow is only 3
steps wide by 3 feet tall across the steep traversing trail, all it takes is
the hastily-placed step, the thoughtless push of the toes, or the post-hole
to send you flying. All this can easily be avoided...

And don't send your hiking crampons and Whippets home at Yosemite because
the notorious Sonora Pass snow slope is yet ahead!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org