[pct-l] Powerhouse Fire detour options

Timothy DenHerder-Thomas timothydht at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 14:33:26 CDT 2014

Hi all,

I'm section hiking the PCT and will be going through section E in May. I
just saw the revised notice stating that the Powerhouse Fire closure area
will remain closed for the rest of 2014:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3793987.pdf

I'm looking for an official and alternate detour routes and would
appreciate some tips.

It seems like last year, the recommended detour was from Bouquet Canyon and
then following the aqueduct:
http://www.pcta.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/PIO_TrailClosure_8_11_landscape_2013_Powerhouse_CA_ANF_002297_20130531_1300.jpg

But from the new Closure Map, it seems like the PCT is hikable to Green
Valley/ San Francisquito Canyon Rd. If hiking is legal up to Green Valley,
it seems more direct to me to continue on the PCT to there and then follow
San Francisquito Canyon Road to Lake Elizabeth and then either:
A. take Munz Ranch Road north to the aqueduct and follow the aqueduct, or
B. just keep following Elizabeth Lake Road/Pine Canyon Rd (N2) all the way
to the Three Points area and the PCT.

I'm also confused as to whether the option B I am listing above is legal
since N2 passes through some areas listed as "Closed" in the Powerhouse
Fire closure, but the closure order only prohibits being on a "National
Forest System road", and as a major roadway, I assume N2 is not a National
Forest System road and would not be closed.

I first want to know if either of these possible detours would be legal,
and second opinions on which would be desirable (as compared to the mapped
detour from Bouquet Canyon). My sense is that a detour following the
aqueduct would provide better water access but basically no shade, while
following N2 would be less exposed, but have less consistent water.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

- Raven