[pct-l] Snow situation east of Rainy Pass not good for SOBO hikers

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Mar 27 15:41:10 CDT 2014

There is still a tremendous amount of snow at Stevens Pass and it doesn't
look like the winter is slowing down at all.

Yes, in other places along the PCT, Winter just came in late.

According to the long-time locals up near the trail in the Pacific
Northwest, solid snow may not turn to patches until mid-July! Actually,
those who live near trail altitude consider their typical "Summer" to only
be a couple months long (mid-July to mid-September)...

Realize that the trail in much of WA is exposed on ridges or along steep
traverses with trees nearby. If snow is present on-trail, be very careful of
your footing. All it takes is a slip-and-fall on just a small patch of steep
snow to slide you into trouble.

Although the trail elevation in Washington is far lower than in the Sierra,
they get far more precipitation at lower altitudes. Most aspiring SoBo PCT
hikers do not realize this during Planning. Most just look at the altitudes
and figure the snow ought to be gone by Summer like it is in most places.
Not necessarily so in the North Cascades.

Mountain Education is considering offering one of our Snow Advanced Courses
somewhere between Monument 78 and Snoqualmie Pass this early July if anyone
is interested in learning the skills and confidence needed to safely start
their south-bound thru hikes, this year or next. Let us know what you think!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org