[pct-l] using Amtrak to and from the PCT

Chris Hauser cehauser1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 11 20:20:26 CDT 2014

Hi Dennis:

James, the person who posted that question, was planning to leave his car in Redding, for his transportation at the end of his hike.  That means he should know the date of his trip in advance, and he could purchase those tickets ahead of time.

I'm not very familiar with Amtrak, but I doubt the rules are different in CA.  I think the station closest to where I live allows same-day ticket purchases, but that station gets a lot of traffic, and is staffed by an attendant.

Chris.

>You can take the Amtrak from Redding to South Lake Tahoe... >Technically a train from Redding to Sacramento, then a bus up to >SLT. ?You'll need to board the train in Redding at 2:30AM, and >you'll need to hitch a ride back up to Echo Pass that afternoon. >Chris. I see lots of comments from time to time about using Amtrak to and
from the PCT. We planned on catching Amtrak at Klamath Falls in 2012
heading to Seattle at the end of our California thru hike, but were
told by Amtrak that we were required to pre-purchase tickets by phone
or online for a specific train on a specific day. Of course we
couldn't predict the day we would arrive so this was not an option. I
asked if one could just show up and buy a ticket if the train had
space. I was told absolutely NO! Every passenger must pre-purchase a
ticket, even if the train wasn't full. Ended up hitching to Medford
and enduring a long bus ride north. So, does Amtrak have a different policy in California? If not, then
it seems to me that any advice on using Amtrak might be of little
value unless you know the exact date/time you'll want to board and
are able to pre-purchase your ticket. Dennis