[pct-l] Hiker dies at start of pacific crest trail

Rob Langsdorf sdscpcts at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 19:53:31 CDT 2014

    While I was at the Kick Off I talked to a local resident. She said that she had hike to trail out to a point where she had a view across to Hauser Mountain. On the way out she came across the 19 year old and his friend. The 19 year old seemed to be having heat related problems. So she offered him water. He said that he had enough water in his pack. Since they didn't seem to want help she continued out to the view point.

     When she made the return trip she was surprised by how much progress they had made, but the 19 year old was again stretched out resting and it seemed to be  sun and heat related. Again she offered water and they refused.

    Soon after she returned to her house she noted a helicopter searching for something. So the boy must have gone down quite soon after she was unable to provide help.

    Has anyone heard if there has been any further information as to why he was appearing to be sick? The leg problem may have made it impossible for him to continue, but from what the woman told me he was in major problems before he got the leg problems.

                        Mataguay Connector