[pct-l] Cataract surgery monovision advice?

River Malcolm river at orcasonline.com
Thu May 15 16:27:50 CDT 2014

Hello Trail Friends

I just finished this year's section (walker pass south to ziggy and the bear) and am going through the DTs (de-trailification).

I need cataract surgery in the fall. Don't want the distance lenses because I'd need to put on glasses every time I look at a map or my iphone GPS apps. Don't want close-up because I'd need to out on glasses to see the beauty all around me. Has anyone tried "monovision" or do you know any hikers who have?  My doc says depth perception would suffer and I'd not be safe on trail (but I suspect that with one eye dominant for close/up right now, and the other for distance, my depth perception might be not that different).

I would love love love to hear others experience ( or suggestions of other forums in which to address this question).

Thanks and happy trails
River