[pct-l] Cataract surgery monovision advice?

Rōnin 47ronin at earthlink.net
Sat May 17 14:08:00 CDT 2014

River,

I have monovision.  While I was stationed at the Pentagon I managed to tear 3 flaps in the retina of my left eye while working out one evening.  Ophthalmologists were able to use a laser to repair the damage and keep the retina from detaching.  The lens in that eye is original and focuses normally at a significant  distance.  At nearly the same time, I developed ocular sclerosis in my right eye that caused me to see 3 images of every light or reflective surface I passed while driving at night (very unsafe).  They replace the lens in my right eye and that eye tends to focus normally at about 18 inches.  The result is that except for reading in a darkened environment or after hours working at a computer, I never have to wear glasses.  So far, I have not noticed any degradation in my depth perception.  One thing I noticed right after my right lens was replaced (cataract surgery even though it wasn't a cataract), was that it took a few days before I could be in a room with natural light and I wore a metal cup over that eye with pinholes in it for the same period because being in a sunlit room (or even a room with bright artificial lights) was very uncomfortable (read that, painful).  On the plus side, I began to see more vibrant blues; something that I found very enjoyable.  I also came to discover that the artificial lens changed its focal point somewhat over time after it was implanted; it didn't end up being quite what the ophthalmologists or I though it would be; the point is, no matter what the doctors try to do, your body may make subtle adjustments.  In my case, I ended up with one eye focusing out near infinity (the natural one) and the other focusing at about 18" and it works for me whether I am driving, working on a computer, reading or doing nearly any other activity.  I will be checking out how well it works on the trail this fall as I am planning to hike the JMT in September.  I had to put off my plans for a thru-hike on the PCT until next year because I had to have knee surgery this past February (managed to tear both menisci in my left knee) and didn't have time to sufficiently recover before I would have had to begin the hike.

I hope this helps.

Bruce "Rōnin" Beebe
47ronin at earthlink.net
805.264.9647