[pct-l] Sierra reports from bloggers

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Tue May 27 11:11:01 CDT 2014

 Just got back from three days up in Granite Park in the Sierra, a bit east of the PCT.

There's more snow than I expected. These late storms have left quite a bit of coverage behind. Patchy snow started a bit below 10,000', and it was solid coverage above 11,000.

The real issue, though, are the snow bridges over the creeks and the lakes. The recent storms have hidden some of the high lakes and creeks, yet not left enough snow to make it safe to cross. I'd be very wary of crossing a lake right now. I broke through into a small stream that was totally covered, luckily I rolled the right direction.

Gary