[pct-l] Kilimanjaro

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 15:23:13 CDT 2014

Ralph and I climbed Kili in 2007. We chose the Lemosho-Lava Tower route, led by Tusker Trails, because this route has a good success rate and we wanted to reach the summit and live to tell the tale.  We were 7 days on the ascent and 2 on the descent. We avoided the "Cola cola" route  (maybe what others are calling the Whiskey route?) because we wanted to see a less crowded part of the mountain and have optimum time on the mountain and to acclimate.

A couple of the comments on the forum were, I believe, inaccurate. First, I've never seen it documented that women suffer more from altitude sickness then men do. I certainly didn't, nor did the fastest person in our group (another woman in her late 60s.). Most of our party took Diamox, which definitely did help.  Secondly, you can't just go on your own--a guide is required.

Whichever route one decides to do, choose a reliable company with a good safety and success rate and that pays its guides fairlyl
Cheers,
Susan Alcorn
Shepherd Canyon Books, Oakland, CA
www.backpack45.com and backpack45.blogspot.com