[pct-l] Back to the Future: Ultralight

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Sun Nov 9 21:42:22 CST 2014

 Muir was also being fed by fellow shepherds up in the high country, so don't get too impressed with the tea bag and crackers in the pocket spiel!

Hey, it was the original trail magic!

Gary

On 11/07/14, Scott Williams wrote:

Nothing new under the sun! Muir didn't carry much more than his pockets
full of dried bread and a bed roll either. Seems once we started
"backpacking" lots of gear was devised to be sold and we all bought it in
the 50s and 60s, which is why our packs weighed 50 and 60 lbs. And my
first old WWII surplus, wooden framed Army rook sack sure wasn't UL by any
means either. When I started changing things out and lightening things up
after reading Jardine's PCT Handbook, I thought I was looking forward, who
knew it was simply a return to what had been.