[pct-l] Section O water & roads

Susan Virnig susan at newstories.org
Wed Oct 1 17:55:00 CDT 2014

Thanks to all who were so helpful with information.  I’d like to pass on what I found.

WATER
	Rock Creek — tons of water
	Peavine — did not check it out
	Moosehead springs — the springs on the trail are bone dry BUT 1/4 mile before them (coming from the south), there is a sign, 2 big cairns and a well-worn trail going off the
		PCT to your right.  This spur trail dead ends at a small pool.  If you filter, no problem.  If you treat, you’ll need a cup to scoop it out into your containers.
		Great level campsite right near the pool.
	Deer Creek down to Ash Camp — tons of water;
		Deer Creek is dry, but 5 feet upstream from the trail right there is a pool with water
		unnamed tributary 1.4 miles after Deer Creek has lots of water (I’d use this instead of the pool at Deer Creek)
		unnamed tributary before Butcherknife Creek has so much water I thought it was the main creek
		Butcherknife Creek you can almost swim in!
		lots of unnamed tributaries flow into it and had some water
	Centipede Creek at Ash Camp — lots of clear water  (McCloud River was the color of coffee au lait — I wouldn’t drink it myself)
	I was told that Trough Creek, Cabin Creek, Squaw Valley Creek and Fall Creek all had water, but after meeting my spouse at Ash Camp, I decided to go out.

ROADS
	Driving to Peavine is a bit of a challenge to find your way, but the road itself is fine if you go slow — dirt and gravel.
	Road to Ash Camp is paved until less than a mile before you get there.  The last little bit is somewhat dicey (small rock slide when we were there) but fine if you go slow.