[pct-l] Pct-L Water north of Walker Pass

David Money Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Thu Oct 2 12:40:36 CDT 2014

Joshua Tree Spring appears to be reliable year-round even in drought years according to the BLM.

I’ve found water at the last crossing of Spanish Needle Creek in October of a dry year.  If it’s not flowing this year, you’d be up the creek unless you are hauling a lot of water.

There’s a campground at Chimney Creek.  The seasonal creek is unlikely to be flowing, but you can yogi some water here if need be.  The road gets some traffic, so you could also get help in an emergency.

Fox Mill Spring appears to be reliable year round, but I’d love a report confirming that this year.

The South Fork of the Kern River is definitely reliable.

That makes 35 miles from the certain sources at Joshua Tree Spring to the South Fork of the Kern, with high probability of water somewhere in between.  If I were going right now, I’d cache some water at Chimney Creek to be certain.

David