[pct-l] Foot back to normal

Pietro, Michael M.D. mmpietro at hinet.org
Thu Oct 9 13:27:34 CDT 2014

At 57, did a section hike and developed forefoot pain and toe numbness after 300 miles. Xray showed a metatarsal stress fracture. Took 4 months to heal but back to normal and hiking now. I'm a doctor so I researched it and found that nobody really knows how to prevent it. Probably best to work up to big miles gradually. FWIW this is primarily an injury of younger people- all the medical studies are in military recruits.

Mike Pietro

Message: 2