[pct-l] Winter hiking.

Gail Van Velzer vanvelzer at charter.net
Tue Oct 21 08:56:06 CDT 2014

We started our thru-ride on January 1st last year and the weather was
perfect.  We were prepared to go around the Laguna Mountains if necessary
due to weather, but it ended up that it was perfect!  We did miss an area
north of Idylwild for 2 reasons.  The fire closure makes it dangerous to do
with horses because of the extreme altitude gain if we used Devil's Slide
trail.  We found a way to use another road, camp at the top, go back to
where the trail joins Devil's Slide, then continue on to Snow Creek the next
day.  We couldn't do this because a storm came in during our window, so we
just picked up at Snow Creek and continued north.  We were able to complete
the Big Bear area without snow.  We also skipped a lot of areas in Angeles
Crest only because we've ridden these many times before and picked up at Mt.
Gleason.  It was at North Fork that I had my accident, so now that my horse
and I are healed, we plan to continue this Fall from North Fork and get
through to Kennedy Meadows.  We'll pick up north of there when the snow
melts in the spring/summer, depending on the weather.  Hope this helps.
Golly