[pct-l] It's map AND compass

Gail Van Velzer vanvelzer at charter.net
Mon Sep 8 09:35:24 CDT 2014

Thank you for sharing this.  So totally agree.  I teach map and compass to
outdoor ed students and I try to drive home the point that while a GPS is
wonderful, sometimes the batteries don't work or you can't get a satellite
signal, so it becomes worthless.  I also let them know that a map is
worthless without the compass, so we practice how to make them work
together.  For this reason too, when we are out there, my husband uses his
GPS and all the electronic gadgets, but I keep the map and compass handy.
We've had to refer to them a few times when the GPS was unclear.  Both are
invaluable.

Golly