[pct-l] It's map AND compass

rbelshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 8 22:07:11 CDT 2014

Agreed. I carry a compass but very rarely use it. I carry a map and study it constantly to see if what I expect around the corner based on the map matches reality. For compass bearings I rarely need more precision than the sun and the time of day provides. But I carry the compass, for those rare morning fog or snow white-out days when visibility is measured in single-digit feet (not applicable to the case that originated the conversation, for which the attentive map reading Ned describes seems sufficient, at least to an armchair quarterback who wasn't there).

Rod Steady" Belshee
hikepaddle.blogspot.com
971-404-9425

In SAR Academy, triangulating our position and following a bearing was a
learning experience, especially at night, but for casual backpackers and PCT
thru hikers, Mountain Education teaches that it is better to know how to
"read" a topo map as if in 3-D and identify landmarks you can anticipate
finding during the day. Paying attention to your surroundings is something
that you will constantly do and what you notice may just bring you a little
peace of mind!

A paper topo map (Halfmile's work just fine, to a point*):

Use your imagination, while you're still planning your next hike, such that
when you pour over a topo of your route, you "see" the map in 3-dimensions,
peaks jump off the page and creeks splash between them (at least in your
mind's eye). Good.

Now, imagine yourself walking the trail and noticing stuff ahead, the
sudden, 90-degree bend in the creek, the perfectly round lake, the treeless
avalanche path cut across the trail, the fact that you are going uphill to a
rocky pass with a mountain on your right and the creek on your left. Simple.

When you hit the trail, expect to see those things and details. Rejoice a
little on the inside when you see them. It can be a game! You are paying
attention to the environment you came to see and appreciate!

So, you're trucking along, fully expecting that sharp, 90-degree turn in the
creek and it doesn't show up.

Hit the brakes. S.T.O.P. (Stop, Think, Observe, Plan) and pull out your map.
Look around for identifiable details/characteristics in the land. You simply
see a narrow, climbing canyon with a little creek and no trees after leaving
a big meadow. Ok, so you simply got lost in thought for a while and missed a
turn. Maybe.

Use your map and memory to locate yourself. Was the big meadow on your
route? Yes? Good. Find your trail on the map, especially where it takes a
turn on the right edge of the meadow and goes up a drainage to that
90-degree turn in the creek. Could you have missed the turn and gone up the
wrong drainage?

What shows on the map as next, if you did? Ah, another trail junction up the
next drainage!

On topo maps, green represents trees. Notice on your map that the creek
drainage your trail goes up is green and the next one is not. Could you be
in this drainage?

Re-confirm. Look around for more details. Look up, too. Can you see the
ridgeline above you? Are there any unique, identifiable landmarks up there
that you might be able to find on that detailed topo map of yours? There is
an old volcanic plug up on the ridge! Find it on your map. Since you are
below it, now you know where you are!

Back-track back to where you need to be.

No compass, just good environmental awareness skills.

Know where you are going and what it might look like. Anticipate landmarks
and look for them. If you don't see one, look for the next. If you find that
one, then you just missed the last! No big deal, just a wake-up call.

If you're out there to enjoy what you can't see at home, then this little
exercise will be easy and life-saving. And realize, if someone else is lost,
you'll be able to explain to them where to go by following landmarks!

This method of following a trail works great when you can't see it because
it is buried under feet of snow!

A compass has its time and place. Before you head out on your next trip,
learn how to use one...and read a map! I don't leave home without either
(even though I have never used my compass except during drills).

* Any map that only shows the trail, as if in a little corridor, won't be
able to help you when you need to find an escape route to the nearest
trailhead. Keep with you a larger scale map, like one from the USFS, that
will show the roads in your area. This is especially vital when hiking
through an area being logged that will have new, dirt roads every year
crossing the trail. Next, and especially important if you are going to be
driving or hitch-hiking anywhere, bring a state highway map. For PCT thru
hikers who may need to flip around a fire or flop on up to a snowless
section of trail, this will help a lot!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize
wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential
education and risk awareness training."