[pct-l] Tahoe Yosemite Trail

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 12:54:57 CDT 2014

Thanks Jim for the info!  I'll have to follow up with them to get the UPS
address I need to use.

"Are you following the old TYT route (over Saint Marys pass down to
108/Deadmans Creek, or just using the PCT?"
I'm attempting the original route.  If I was following the PCT the whole
way I'd call it a section hike of the PCT as I don't consider them the same
thing.  As the wilderness press guide and maps have been out of print for
about 20 years, I found an alternate source for the route.  Though I was in
REI the other day, I noticed that WP's latest version of Sierra North
guidebook now includes something they call the TYT broken down into
multiple shorter sections but without the maps or detailed descriptions of
the original guidebook (my much older version of the book doesn't list the
TYT as any of the trips included).  Didn't read it in detail to see if its
still the same original route.  I'm mainly relying on information and maps
I found here:
http://tahoetowhitney.com/picturetrail/Tahoe_to_Alpine/Meeks_to_Echo_Summit/Lake_Tahoe_Yosemite_Trail.html

>From there I'm printing out a few maps of the cross country areas and areas
that I read in a recent journal that suggest poor trail maintainence to
supplement my Tom Harrison and Nat. Geo. trail maps of the Sierras for
navigation.

An interesting thing just happened.  You can use Amtrak connector
buses/trains to get between Yosemite an Truckee and the local TART buses to
get down within 1.5 miles of the start of the TYT in Tahoe.  But the
schedule requires an overnight in Truckee.  So instead, I reached out
yesterday to a few hiking friends to see if anyone had wanted to hike part
of the trail with me in hopes of getting a bite to help set up the car
shuttle.  At midnight last night,a friend (O'Dark from the PCT 2009)
offered to not only drive me the 480 miles to Tahoe from SoCal, but to come
back and pick me up in Yosemite 10-11 days later.  How can you pay
something like that back?

-Miner