[pct-l] Tahoe Yosemite Trail

Tom Grundy caver456 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 13:15:13 CDT 2014

We did the PCT-section version of the TYT (enter at Meek's then follow PCT
to Tuolumne) about 5 years ago, ran across a guy from Berkley named Stoner
- yes that's a bit vague - (Alex in reality) who did the TYT proper
including the Moke crossing, said it was ridiculously overgrown and hard to
find, he was all cut up from bushes and such, and the crossing was very
dodgy though I don't remember what time of year it was, or whether it was a
bad drought year.  We saw him when he came up to join the PCT somewhere
around Asa lake.  Sounds like a good adventure!  We opted to take the side
trails from Kennedy Mdws N after picking up our resupply there, south into
Emigrant wilderness and east to rejoin PCT near Bond Pass.  Very very dusty
and full of horse pucky - it is a pack trail after all - but incredible
scenery, with the volcanic meeting the granitic all over the place, lots of
pink granite too.  That avoided the snow coming up the south side of Sonora
pass and snow on the sideslopes south of there.  Enjoy the trip!