[pct-l] Susan from Spokane, section O

Laurie Hallum laurie_h1234 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 07:39:58 CDT 2014

Susan,
   Just did some trail maintenance yesterday, Saturday 9-20-14, near Peavine and Rock Creek.  There is some water at Peavine, definitely treat it.  At Rock Creek camp there seemed to be good water.  People were camping and didn't want to bother them to check further.  The campground is upstream from the bridge.  Your spouse could meet you there at the Rock Creek Campground and Peavine Creek.  Check out the new signage :-) from Saturday and nice tread work from this summer.
   I don't know if you are NB or SB; I'll go NB.  From Burney Falls it isn't far to Rock Creek, about 5-6 miles, then about 8 to Peavine Creek.  I remember water being off the trail after Peavine, but I don't know the current conditions from Peavine to Ash Camp.  Part of that area is soooo beautiful.  You can see Lassen Peak, the top of Castle Crags (next to Interstate 5 where you will be going), the Red Bluff buttes, and Mt. Shasta.  Ash Camp is near the McCloud River; there is a nice bridge to cross it.  The Squaw Valley Creek is nice cool water and plenty of it and a car accessible camp/resting area.  After crossing the Girard Road there is spotty water, but there is generally some along that area.  Near the railroad crossing you cross the Sacramento River and then Interstate 5.  Yahoo!!
   I've done all of this with day hikes and a car at each end of the day hike and the roads aren't too bad, but it can take a while to drive back to near Burney and pick up Hwy 89 to Bartle Gap.  The road to Ash Camp is rough so drive slowly.  Going to Grizzly Peak could be a major challenge.  I haven't been there in about 3 years.  I've heard from others that the road to Ah Di Na is rough, but there is a camp ground past the PCT crossing, so I thinks it's just city people on a dirt road.  :-o   The road to Cabin Creek is a good dirt road.  Going to the Girard Road Crossing is pretty easy going and it's about 10 road miles from Interstate 5, about 11 - 12 trail miles.  And then you are finished.
   Please feel free to contact me with my email address if you want to communicate more.  I'll help where I can.
Lady Pegasus

 Message: 1