[pct-l] Fire Closures

Tom Grundy caver456 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:43:08 CDT 2014

PCTA and USFS probably have the best info.

>From a mapping point of view, go to caltopo.com, navigate to the area with
USFS topo layer on (it's much more recent than the raster USGS topo layer),
then in the layers pulldown (top right) hit the checkbox for Current Fire
Activity. It doesn't always load especially at more zoomed-out scales,
possibly because the modis server is having issues or bogged down or such,
but give it a shot.  There are probably also KML/KMZ out there, you could
google for happy camp fire kmz or happy camp fire kml - don't forget the
July Complex ate up a lot of the area too.

My understanding is that a lot of the PCT itself is toast, a lot of the
narratives talked about using the PCT as a starting point to build a
fireline, but, that's all heresay and rumor, and hopefully incorrect?
Anyone know more?