[pct-l] Calories

Ryan Weidert ryan.weidert at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 04:49:47 CDT 2015

In 2009 I planned on about 4500 calories a day and averaged about 25-30
mile days and managed to lose weight by Canada after 4 months (maybe 10-15
lbs?). Mind you I was 24 and "healthy" did not really factor into my
choices. When ones "hiker hunger" turns on (around week 2-3 for me) the
body wants calories and then some and does not care from what source they
come, as it will burn them all just the same and in rapid order. There is
definitely no harm in packing healthier food, although it can yield in
higher weights of food needed to be carried as many junk foods are
wonderfully calorie dense. When hiking, your body mainly wants fat and
carbohydrates so that's the fuel that needs to be put into it. I found the
following article explains well how the body works in regards to calories
and thruhiking and rough ratio of fats/carbohydrates/protein. There are
even some food suggestions. Two key points I found helpful are, snack often
to keep muscle energy stores from being depleted as fast and no sugary
breakfast because that can trigger the insulin response, which then tries
to store carbohydrates vs allowing them to be used as fuel right away.
http://thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php

When I plan a menu, I think of a calorie total first then choose foods that
add up to the total. For a 4500-5000 calorie day, I'll try for 1000 in the
morning (breakfast) 500 for lunch and 1000 for dinner, filling the rest in
with 200 calorie snacks throughout the day. I've found 200 calories per
snack is usually the right amount of food especially if you are repacking
things like nuts, M&Ms, crackers etc. Plus, most energy or protien bars
are near 200 calories (Snickers are more).
My current menu consists of many the most calorie dense foods (junk food
and otherwsie) I can lay my hands on (that taste good), because I am
planning on a speed hike where even 6000 calories a day won't be nearly
enough. I'll probably lose 10 lbs in 3-4 weeks, maybe faster, but that's
just part of the reality of using ones body hard when pack weight is of
high importance. Once on trail, there's never a calorie I didn't like to
meet, even the dropped M&M in the middle of the trail...plus, it's good LNT!

Cheers,
TUNA HELPER.