[pct-l] Map Strategy

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 10 20:28:57 CDT 2015

Mark wrote:

Hello, Was wanting to know, for a thru hike, what sections are absolutely
necessary to have a map? I have sectioned hiked a lot of So. Cal PCT and a
map is >
not really needed. Pretty straight forward. The trail is easy to follow. I
will have Tom Harrison's maps for the JMT.  Thanks,  Mark

Maps aren't necessary on the PCT . . . until they are.

A few circumstances in which you might need maps:
* You're not paying attention, miss a turn, and head off on the wrong path.
How do you figure out you're not on the PCT anymore, and how do you figure
out how to fix it? [1]
* You have an emergency of some sort (weather, medical, failed gear, etc.)
and need to bail out to civilization as quickly as possible.  What are your
options?
* The trail is buried in deep snow.  Where does it go?

The first two can happen anytime, anywhere.  The third you'll probably be
able to plan for.

Then there's the question of whether electronic maps on a smartphone are
sufficient, or if paper maps are necessary.  Same answer applies: paper maps
aren't necessary . . . until you forget to put your phone into airplane mode
and run the battery down.  Then they are.

I've found that most people who carry no maps end up mooching off of those
who do have maps when they need to know something.  I leave it as an
exercise for the reader to decide whether that's ok or not.

[1] Been there, done that. I only realized I was on the wrong trail when I
passed hikers going the other way and exchanged the traditional "where you
headed?" greeting.  I said, "I'm going to Stehekin!"  They said, "No, you're
not."  "Yes, I am."  "Uh, no, you're really not."  I was pretty glad to have
a map at that point.

Eric