[pct-l] Knees

Jeffrey Olson philos56 at live.com
Sat Apr 11 18:27:23 CDT 2015

The part of the trail between Cold Canyon and Kennedy Canyon is rough on
knees.  Roots to step over.  Ungainly steps making use of natural
nature.  The PCT made use of existing trail here, and it's up and down,
up and down...

Rent an anti-gravity machine for that part of the trail.  I did it last
year and it's a lot easier.  The company not only keeps you three feet
above the trail the whole way, no matter how steep, you sit back and
grok the views at 3 mph without sweating.

The best part is the machine has a built in propane grill, a porta-potty
(required by the forest service)  and pop-out four person tent.  You
never have to touch the ground.  Because all the food is in bear-proof
compartments and the machine camps/hovers at 10' at night, it's totally
safe.  I met my girlfriend at Tuolomne and it was our second honeymoon.
She hates hiking and the wilderness.  Now she's willing to go out for
two nights of my kind of hiking.

I highly recommend renting "Bob's Anti-gravity Machine Wilderness
Experience" for that part of your PCT hike.  That section - Tuolomne
Meadows to Sonora Pass - is so much more enjoyable!!!  It's a nice four
day break from the drudgery of hiking.  You could share it's $10K
pricetag if you split it six or more ways.  Bob's willing to let thrus
sleep on the ground.  He can haul 12 in the machine.  For me, the cost
was worth a four day second honeymoon.

  At any rate, you have about 40 miles of pretty intense knee
challenging hiking in the North Boundary Country of Yosemite if you
choose to hike it without Bob's anti-gravity machine.

Jeffrey Olson
Arcata, CA