[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 88, Issue 13/knees

Bill Chavez wachavez64 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 14:00:23 CDT 2015

Everyone has them and there is not a "one size fits all solution" to the problem.  I started my hike 4/2009.  I knew my knees were not the best but I spoke to my rhumetologist and he said that I was fine to hike the entire PCT. By Warner Springs I knew I was in trouble but I kept thinking it was just a matter of "getting in shape". About 10 miles north of WS I decided to go back to WS because I didn't want anyone to have to come and rescue me.  By the time I was back to WS I could scarcely walk on my own.

The bottom line: partial replacement on the right, knee cap resurface on the left.  I also needed a rotator cuff repair, sheesh.  There was a long recovery. I fell and had to do the rotator over again, sheesh X2.

Previous to this I tried all the DIY "fix its". The problems just slowly got worse.  One orthopedic Dr. Wanted to do full knee replacements on both knees...Holy Cow! Fortunately I found a conservative Dr.

That's my story.  Your body and your problem(s) are totally different. See a professional, if you live in So Ca I have a great recommendation. If you have problems with your knees I don't think it will get better with diet, glucosamine, braces or whatever if the problems are due to RA or DJD(degenerative joint disease, I have both lucky me).

I can hike now without pain for the most part, but there is still pain, sometimes everywhere at once. Dr. Says, of the replacement, "it's only steel and plastic..."  So I suppose it will wear out sometime, sheesh again.

Bill