[pct-l] Bear Bagging Etiquette

Andrew Gerdes andgerdes at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 19 19:26:19 CDT 2015

Thanks to everyone who has helped answer some of my questions as I get ready for my PCT hike across Oregon.  Your input has been much appreciated!  I have been researching the best ways to store my food at night and kept finding conflicting information about hanging versus keeping food in your tent.  Canisters aren't required in Oregon but most official sources say to hang your food.  However, many other sources, including all the hikers in Yogi's book, simply kept their food sealed and in their tent.  What is the general etiquette? I feel like this is less about personal preference and more about the safety of the animals as at the end of the day they are the ones harmed by getting into human food.  I also looked into the Ursack but it looks kinda expensive.  Thoughts, tips and suggestions are much appreciated!  I can't wait to hit the trail!

Andrew