[pct-l] Gear Recommendation (Traction Devices vs Snow Shoes)

Dan C. aka Thumper dofdear at cox.net
Wed Apr 22 11:14:48 CDT 2015

Hi Ned,

Do not see you on the ADZPCTKO schedule so I'll ask here.

In terms of equipment what are your recommendations for the northern Cascades at the end of June this year.  In reviewing the SNOTEL sites for both Harts and Rainy Pass, it appears that this year is at average snow levels.  What that means to me is that the trail may be 50 - 75% snow covered especially where the trail is cut into steep slopes.  I assume an ice ax or whippet is in order.  Beyond that my question goes to traction devices vs snow shoes.  Please be specific in your equipment recommendations including brand and model if you can plus some rational. Also foot wear recommendations when using either  traction devices or snow shoes. Thanks,

Thumper aka Dan C