[pct-l] 2015 - After Action Report

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 10:34:30 CDT 2015

Yes, once again Stinker the Trail Skunk andSwitchback the Trail Pirate have cheated death. This time it was at the annual Kickoff at Lake Morena County Park insouth central San Diego County.  Thisyear it is in two sessions.  The weatherwas rainy and chilly, but perfect for hikers with none of the normal heat.  I think I have been to 15 out of 17 of theseevents over the years.  The Kickoff issimilar to a fair to support hikers heading out on the Pacific CrestTrail.  Many are going from Mexico toCanada or 2,650 miles in 4-5 months.
Wednesday,April 22 – Las Vegas to Victorville = 200 miles
Ifinish packing the SUV and start out around 2 PM.  I have to take all my tables, chairs, foods,drinks, etc., for the Pirate’s Lair at campsite #22.  I am only going to Victorville to the HawthornSuites.  They were having an excellent Mexicandinner tonight.

Thursday,April 23 – Victorville CA to Pine Valley CA = 220 miles
Inthe morning I head down to Recon Native Plants not far from the Mexican borderto pick up an oak tree to be planted in memory of Strider at Lake MorenaPark.  Later I deliver it to the parkrangers.  They do a great job plantingit.  Hopefully, it will survive thedrought.  I then unpack and open thePirate’s Lair table of goodies.  Later I headto Pine Valley and my motel for the night.  I go across the street and get a pizza andsalad at Calvin's and take it to my room to watch NBA basketball.

Friday,April 24 --- Pine Valley to Lake Morena Park = 13 miles
I get up and decide to drive around for a while to check out thearea before heading over to Lake Morena. Just down the road from Pine Valley I run across the Descanso JunctionRestaurant (20 miles from Lake Morena) on Hwy 79.  It looks interesting, so I make a note tocome back here for dinner.

Iarrive at the park and paint some shelter stakes and give out candy, Pringles,and drinks.  Plus, I visit with friendsand meet new ones.  The SuperSecretseminar was again well attended at 2 PM at campsite 22.  I demonstrated dehydrated water to muchpraise and astonishment.

Laterin the day, I am ready for dinner, so I head out to Descanso.  Wow, what a great place to eat --- a diamondin the rough along the road.  This is mynew favorite place to eat at the Kickoff --- a definite must.  It would be great to have a shuttle over tothis place for hikers.

Saturday,April 25 --- Lake Morena Park to Las Vegas NV = 385 miles
Icheck out of the motel in Pine Valley and head down the road to DescansoJunction for breakfast.  Then it is overto Lake Morena to open up the Pirate’s Lair.

Gizmostops by to record my comments for a podcast. I have endless stories and opinions about the trail and hiking --- sheis pretty much exhausted after I am done talking, but I could go on for hours.  I started hiking on the PCT around 1968 whenthe last Ice Age glaciers were retreating.

Istart to think that with this new two session Kickoff format.  I might want to do two seminars next year overat the pavilion.  That is enclosed andhas chair for seating.  It would be amove up into the big time for the little Pirate’s Lair seminar under an oaktree.  But I think I can get a good crowdfor the pavilion.  May be I can haveslides too.

Ilisten to satellite radio down and back and finally got home around 7 PM andstarted to unpack the SUV.  Then I thenwent upstairs with my suitcase and back down to watch some tube.  Sunday I would finish unpacking and go downto get my wife’s SUV cleaned and waxed before I get into trouble.

Conclusion
It is always great to go to the Kickoff and seepeople and their gear.  You cannotexperience such human drama and enthusiasm except may be at the start of a bigmarathon or similar event.  People are alittle anxious with anticipation of doing something challenging and unknown inmany ways.  They are going to challengethemselves like never before if they are doing a big section or thru-hike.  For the rest of us, it is great to be thereto support them.  It allows us to giveback to the trail.  The volunteers, organizers,vendors, and rangers did another great job to accommodate over 1,000people at the park over 5-days.
Accurately and faithfully reported ---
Yourobedient servants and trail rapscallions,
Stinkerthe Trail Skunk and Switchback the Trail Pirate