[pct-l] PCT is closed near Stehekin

Judson Brown judsonwb at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 23:18:26 CDT 2015

A rough estimate of distance using Google Earth and Google Maps comes to
about 100 miles. Only the first 6.8 of this west of the PCT is trail.
Unfortunately, there aren't really any satisfactory trail options. There
really aren't any trails to the west of Suiattle Pass that allow you to
return to the trail by Stehekin. Likewise to the SE (south of the fire
blocking the re-route), there isn't any way to get to Lake Chelan (and then
up to Stehekin) until WAY down the lake.

Instead of getting a hitch all the way to Rainy Pass, you could try to get
a ride to the Cascade Pass TH, east of Marblemount on the Cascade River
Road. From here you could return to the PCT near Bridge Creek CG.

Another option would be to skip this section almost entirely, hitching from
Stevens Pass east to Chelan, where you could take a boat up the lake to
Stehekin.

Like I said, no ideal options exist. Both of these fires are still
relatively small; let's hope they can get a hold on them and get the trails
back open soon.