[pct-l] Stehekin fire status

Rob Langsdorf sdscpcts at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 18:39:58 CDT 2015

    Yesterday I hiked down the Suiattle River Trail from the PCT. I had gone in tohike the new segment of trail that goes from the old Vista Creek crossing downto the new bridge across the river and then back up the canyon to Mine Creek. (I had to cross the river on a log 5 years ago) Today I am in Winthrop.It was clear this morning, but is very smoky now. I suspect that the Wolverinefire is burning more area as a Red Flag Warning is in effect until 9 PM due to gusty northwest winds.

    As to thefires. Here is what was said about the Wolverine Fire as presented at a meetingin Chelan on the 6th:

Chelan Community Meeting - WolverineFire update - Aug. 6, 2015

|  Chelan Community Meeting - Wolverine Fire update - Aug....

|  View on vimeo.com

  |  Preview by Yahoo

It provides youwith about 13 minutes about how they are fighting the Wolverine Fire that isburning along the south side of the lake about 2 miles from Stehekin. But thelake is between Stehekin and this fire. It would have to move several miles tothe west to burn to the road to Stehekin. It could burn into areas thatactually blocks the road from the PCT to town. But currently the road is clear.I don't know if they are operating the buses along the road as it sounds likea lot of the town is ready to pack up and leave.

     The fire that is closest to the PCT is the Blankenship fire. Currentlyit is burning on a hill to the west of South Fork of Agnes Creek in an areawhere the PCT goes down the east side of the creek. I talked to people whohiked through this area 4 days ago. They said that all they saw was a few treesstill burning up the slope. So if things don't change you could probably hikethrough this area if it weren't for the closure and the concerns with the Wolverine Fire and it should be open next year.

    TheGoode Ridge Fire is a third fire in the area. It is burning up Park Creek about5 miles from the Bridge Creek campsite, which is about 5 miles north of theroad to Stehekin. I can't find an incident site for this fire. Even though ithas burned about 800 acres, it may not be considered worthy of a report.

    Inshort, you could probably still hike the PCT, but the resupply at Stehekincould be in doubt due to the approach of the Wolverine Fire.

   Tomorrow I will go out to Rainy Pass to hike the last miles I need complete the state of Washington. I suspectthat I might run into hikers coming up from the national park, who may knowmore about the fire situation and potential to resupply in Stehekin at thistime.

    There will be a community meeting at the Stehekin School at 5 PM, Friday, August 7th toprovide more info on these fires. Probably some of that meeting will be postedonline tomorrow.

    Asfar as next year goes: None of these fires have reached the PCT or the road toStehekin at this time. As long as they don't spread to the trail or the Stehekin Valley there shouldbe no problem hiking or riding the PCT through this area next year,

                         Rob