[pct-l] New member

Brian Watt bwatt at 1fifoto.com
Wed Aug 19 11:55:57 CDT 2015

Jerry,

I was an older newcomer to long distance hiking so I felt I really
needed to prepare myself for the challenge of the PCT. I did my prep in
my town over a period of six months. I started with 20 lbs in my pack
and 40 miles per week. First I increased my pack weight by 10% per week
until it was 35 lbs. Then I increased my distance by 10% per week until
it was 80 miles. Each week consisted of hiking on local flat paths and
roads on Monday, and Wednesday, hills on Tuesday and Thursday, off on
Friday, a long distance hike on Saturday, and a trail hike with poles on
Sunday. To help adjust to the weight and distance every 5th week was a
"recovery" week where I dropped down my weight and distance 30% for just
that week. About once a month I went to a local park and camped over the
weekend to shakedown my other gear and to hike on different trails. My
culmination was a multi-day hike to Big Bend National Park where I
cached water (required by the rangers) and did the Outer Mountain Loop
across the desert using all my gear including topo maps and GPS. By the
time I was done I had hiked over 1600 miles and knew that I was ready
for the PCT which I completed in 2014 in 144 days (April 16-Sept 6) with
7 zeros. This includes all the standard caveats of YMMV and HYOH.

Bri/Tartan