[pct-l] Snow

Richard Brinkman richardb10 at live.com
Tue Dec 22 08:10:15 CST 2015

Greetings PCT Community!

I just wanted to share my experience with regard to snow for those planning to hike the trail next year or in the future.  I hiked this year...a very low snow year.  For the Sierra, I decided to use Hillsound trail crampons after hearing that microspikes sometimes roll off/around the shoe, but the 'trail crampons' I used were essentially the same as microspikes, and I had the same issue in the limited time I used them.  Granted, that was a steep slope, but they still rolled up on my shoe.  In a normal to heavy snow year, I would want a true crampon despite the few extra ounces.

In place of an ice axe, I used a Black Diamond Whippet (trekking pole with ice axe mounted to the top of the grip).  I hate stopping to get something out of my pack, and for that reason might think of just pushing through a possibly sketchy situation.

I sent the 'trail crampons' home at Tulomne but maintained the Whippet through Sonora Pass, and was glad I did.  Even in a low snow year there was still quite a bit of snow south of Sonora Pass.  I fortunately never had to use it, but again was glad I had it with me for that section, especially since I was hiking in Altra Lone Peaks. I really didn't notice any extra weight with the Whippet, just a life saving device in my hand at all times.

Wishing everyone a very happy holiday season!

Roadwalker

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12745 (20151218) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12756 (20151221) __________