[pct-l] RECALL Alert for Black Diamond Product / Whippet

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Dec 23 23:21:11 CST 2015

As you guys know, Mountain Education has been using self-arrest ski poles
ever since we started in 1982. The first brand was made by a company named
Ramer and their pick-grips were made of a large nylon material that worked
great. They are no more.

Then Black Diamond came to our attention and we have been using them to
teach self-arrest skills on ice and snow since 2005. I have worn through
maybe 6 different generations of these great poles over the years and not a
one has broken. Now, I'm not saying that one couldn't, under the right
conditions, much like anything else, but that one has never failed my use
under constant winter and spring steep slope demonstration and practice to
multiple groups each year.

So, I just went and took a look at our inventory of rental Whippets acquired
over the years and most are the black variety before the stainless steel
versions came out. I, also, have a new model without the questionable notch
in the blade. So, I guess BD had some trouble with the stainless notch
failing and designed it out in the current model. Good deal.

But I wouldn't worry about the blade breaking! In my mind, you would have to
encounter a boulder in the snow pack to snap off that blade and that has yet
to happen to me.

Keep in mind that the Whippet is not a mountaineering tool like an ice axe
and is not built to withstand the forces an ice axe is. Nevertheless, it is
priceless to the non-mountaineer snow-hiker because it is always in your
hand when you suddenly slip and fall on snow or ice to help you self-arrest.
I can't tell you how many PCT thru hikers I have seen in the southern sierra
where we teach our Snow Advanced Course when they pass us by who have ice
axes that are strapped to the back of their packs, unusable should they
fall.

Yes, a Whippet can't function in all the roles of an ice axe, but for the
one role I need it for, it is there to save my life and has never broken!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize
wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential
education and risk awareness training."