[pct-l] hiking with dogs

Josie josie1066 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 21:02:14 CST 2015

Hiking with a dog is not for everyone or for every dog. However, it does work for some. If you really want to do it then try it in short stretches and see how your dog does. As long as you put the dog first you will probably do just fine. My giant border collie (70 lb mix that looks all border, but may be part Appaloosa :-)) has walked thousands of miles with me (PCT, CDT etc). Most of the time he does great, but there have been times when I have had to get him off the trail, and I never give it a second thought. That said, there is nothing better than a happy companion dog on the trail.

Some years ago I contributed to Postholer’s “PCT FAQ page” some notes and I just re-read them-- there might be something useful for you. It’s at: http://postholer.com/faq.php#dogs

There are many people who hike successfully with dogs but as Drew references in his post, it is not necessarily easy and the experience/viability depends on what you are willing to put into it and the temperament/ability of your dog. You might try reading some journals of “dog” hikers-- that might give you an idea.

Happy Hiking,
Jo
postholer.com/jo (PCT 2008, CDT on-going)

Drew Smith jdrewsmith at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 14:24:40 CST 2015