[pct-l] [Gear List] -- Mexico -> Cascade Locks -- Critique Wanted!

Robert McAllister rwhere at att.net
Fri Feb 6 01:27:15 CST 2015

Nice layout. A few places to shave some ounces:

Lighter sleeping bags available but of course $$$.
Micro swiss army knife instead of the leatherman.
Smartwater bottles instead of camelback. When they get funky replace in towns.
Don't need the fleece pants until later or maybe not at all. Depends on year.

I would wear a full brimmed hat, not a ball cap. (You may encounter hot days even in early April and will later on.)

+Nice to have some shorts for swimming, lounging around, or while doing laundry.
+Don't forget lip balm.
+Recommend a repair kit (needle, thread, patches, couple of safety pins, some tape.)
+Cut a bottom section of small plastic water bottle for scoop, especially if using Sawyer.
+If sleeping with food consider "odor barrier" bags.
+May want to protect sleeping bag and clothes with either rolltop silnylon drybags or trash compactor bag. Even during drought years it can rain in Socal. Then creek crossings later. Packcovers only slow down a soaking since the water runs down your back.

I used Halfmile paper maps along with the app. Small compass as backup. Next time will carry Yogi's guide too. (Seems like the only time I got confused was in towns.)