[pct-l] GoLite Chrome Dome umbrella

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 02:12:47 CST 2015

Hey Susan,

Here's a link to the same umbrella without the GoLite logo being sold for
$33.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161552763510?item=161552763510&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

I used to get them at times for $20 to $25 on sale, so it's not too much
more.  But it's the exact same thing without the GoLite logo.  I own both
and there's no difference.  I go thru one, sometimes two on a thru hike and
keep a set of spares ready to ship from home, so buy two if you can.

As for use, I just put the handle under my chest strap and synch it down
and for a light rain that's all you need to do.  It'll stay nicely snugged
down over you and your pack just with this, or popped up high if it's a
light drizzle so you can still use the camera.  In heavier rain or any kind
of wind, clip a small carabiner to the loop of line attached to the bulb of
the umbrella's handle and hook it to your waist belt.  If you need to
tighten it down, just use the cord lock provided with the umbrella to
tighten it down.  If the wind is from one side or the other, just hook it
left or right of center so the umbrella top is faced into the wind and it
will be able to handle a good blow this way.  If it's really corking, you
may need to use one hand for the umbrella and one hand for the pole, and
worse than that, you may need two hands for the umbrella.

I've only had to do this a few times, but even in a real blow, 50 to 70
mph, I've been able to keep the umbrella up and hiked on, sheltered by this
extra bit of windbreak in otherwise terrible weather.  It will form fit
itself to you in that much wind.  Once way above timberline on the CDT in
Colorado on an otherwise lovely afternoon,  I was hiking shirtless in a
swim suit when the weather turned from sunny to a maelstrom of hail and
freezing wind in what seemed like 30 seconds.  I wasn't able to get my wet
weather gear out and on in the fierce wind, but popped the umbrella which
gave me enough shelter from the cold to run quite a way along the ridge
till I could descend out of the wind to a bit of shelter to don my
clothing.

In those kinds of conditions, however, be very careful not to allow the
wind to get under the umbrella as it will turn it inside out in a split
second and destroy it.  I've also had that happen once on a storm hike of
our local Mt. Diablo when I'm guessing the winds were above 60mph.  When it
caught the umbrella wrong, there was no repair I could do.  It was ruined.

Have a great hike,

Shroomer