[pct-l] Washing Down Bag

Stephen Adams reddirt23 at att.net
Fri Feb 6 09:50:15 CST 2015

The big problem I found after a summer of hiking was that the down in the hoods of my bags got clumped from hair oils.  I actually used some mild shampoo and soaked and worked it into the hood using a bucket.  RInsed as well as I could and then washed the entire bag with some REI down wash in a larger tub, by hand.  It is a time consuming PITA.  Then into the dryer with the tennis balls, and that takes a while and consumes a lot of energy and or quarters as already mentioned.  Results, not bad, not as good as new, but can get 'em better than mucky muck.  On the other hand, probably could have got a new bag on sale somewhere and broke even on time and expense.  But then again I get attached to my gear.  My old REI Sub Kilo bag is still hangin in there down to about 30 degrees.