[pct-l] snow conditions 2015

Jason Torbitzky jasontorbitzky at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 21:21:37 CST 2015

First time thru-hike attempter here. From what I can gather looking at
postholer and snow pack conditions on the PCTA's site, it looks like
California snowpack is (thus far) almost as low as it could get. Does that
mean an earlier Sierra-entry date would be *more* safe, or that a standard
mid-June entry would mean extremely little snow? I'm trying to choose a
start date (and squeeze as much time out of the early season as I can due
to August/September obligations), and also determine how essential tools
like an ice axe and microspikes will be this season. I heard that 2013, for
example, was a low enough year that many people started in mid-March. Any
wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks, all!
Jason