[pct-l] phone charger hack

James Vesely JVesely at sstinternational.com
Tue Feb 10 09:54:25 CST 2015

For those who might be interested I did a simple hack on a Anker Samsung spare battery charger that they sell on Amazon.    It involves a little soldering, cutting and epoxy glue but otherwise it is pretty simple.    It allows you to charge the battery from not only 115 volt but also from a solar panel or other 5 volt DC (USB) charge source.

The Anker charger when plugged into an outlet will charge both an extra battery and a phone through the side located USB port.

When in the field it can be connected to a solar panel, via the added circuit board hack  to charge the extra battery and it can also be charged from any 5 volt USB source such as a cigarette lighter USB device.   I tested it on the 5 oz solar panel I am selling and it works great.  It charged a half full Galaxy S4 battery in a couple of hours.

If anyone is interested I can provide some guidance in putting it together.

Here are some pictures:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/100489363658004251804/albums/6111287435181323441

Jim