[pct-l] snow conditions 2015

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Feb 10 12:37:34 CST 2015

If anyone is interested, last night I put up a few pictures of the Forester
area in May taken between 2006 and 2014 onto the Facebook page, "PCT Class
of 2015." What you'll see are conditions ranging from 8-12 feet of snow
(snowline down to 9500 feet) to 4-5 feet with snowline closer to 11,000.

As Walt said, sierra storms are unpredictable, as can be seen in the chart
Alice Bodnar posted to the same FB page yesterday from Guthookhikes.com:
(which also shows that March and April can be the big snow-dump months!)

http://www.guthookhikes.com/2015/02/2015-high-sierra-snow-pack.html

The best thing to do is to stop speculating and just prepare for snow and/or
a lack of water. Sometimes I am concerned that this quest for the lightest
pack is causing hikers to do without and "hope for the best," rather than
being aware of what could and has happened and travel prepared (which may
mean you carry some stuff that you maybe won't use)...

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize
wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential
education and risk awareness training."