[pct-l] Trail Gear - Pole Tips

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 11 18:54:41 CST 2015

Leki poles _do not_ require special equipment be used to replace the
tips.  Almost every tool box has a crescent wrench (adjustable wrench).
Open it to be slightly larger than the diameter of the lowest section of
the pole but smaller than the diameter of the pole tip.  Slide the
wrench over the pole section and down sharply to knock off the pole
tip.  This usually works with one or two whacks.  Then replace with a
new tip available at most outfitters.  They are held on by friction fit,
not super glue (at least on Leki's).

Leki's customer service line (google "Leki Buffalo NY" for their phone
number).  On my AZT trek, I broke the lowest section of one of my
poles.  They supplied a new section mailed free via priority mail to the
next town I was passing through.  With the new section, I also got new
pole tips since that's how they are stocked.  Leki's may cost a little
more, but this sort of customer service makes the investment worthwhile.

Handlebar