[pct-l] PCT NOBO Campo in August????

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 14:23:35 CST 2015

More chatting about section hiking.  Remember many hikers aren't that hungry when they start on a trail. On your first section try taking a lot less food than you might want later on. Makes for a lighter pack. If you guessed wrong the worse that happens is you are a bit hungry at your first resupply stop. Unless you are very thin with high activity off trail you will be burning town fat. It's even in your feet. This is especially true if you are starting at a higher altitude I'm never hungry for the first 3-4 hundred miles. I have to make myself eat. I'm burning off 15 #s. I have a highly physical job but it does not matter with all the food in the world to eat. Nothing compares to the effort it takes to hike up and down Mtns with weight on your back. Town weight 115-trail weight 100 or lower. For me hiker hunger happens at about one month out. Disclaimer--we are all different. You will become an expert on how you do the trail.
Walking through the desert with the snow falling on the cactus was just as wonderful as sitting out the middle of the day under a tarp and waiting for dark to hike by starlight. Each way to do the trail has its value. I'm counting the minutes until I'm back out there again.
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone